Coalbrookdale & Ironbridge Community Centre Association
   
Coalbrookdale & Ironbridge, “birthplace of industry”, is a World Heritage site.
HISTORY OF COALBROOKDALE & IRONBRIDGE COMMUNITY CENTRE The Coalbrookdale & Ironbridge Community Centre occupies a building which has been a focus for community life since 1830.  Its original purpose was to house a thriving girls and infants school founded by Mrs. Abraham Darby in 1831 with a school house for the two mistresses incorporated into the building.  It was designed in the style of the adjacent Company Works and for many years was jointly run by the Coalbrookdale Company and the Darby family. In Bagshaw’s Directory of Shropshire, 1851, it was described as 'a commodious school for girls, near the Works, which is supported by Mrs. Abraham Darby; here about one hundred girls and an equal number of infants are now receiving instruction'. Close links with the Church began in 1854 when the new Coalbrookdale Church was built; these still continue with the local primary school today. The school became known as Coalbrookdale Church School although it was still maintained by the Darby family and the Coalbrookdale Company. These arrangements continued until 1893 when a committee of interested local people was formed to run the school; minutes from their meetings are kept at Shropshire Record Office from which it is possible to build up a picture of the school a hundred years ago.  They faced some of the same problems that we face today and soon had to commence building works to bring the school up to government standards.  It was at this point that the section containing the school house was converted to extra classrooms and cloakrooms with the mistresses receiving financial compensation for losing their accommodation.  Fundraising was another important issue and a circular was sent out asking for subscriptions from all the residents in the Coalbrookdale district inviting them to contribute at the rate of one shilling in the pound upon the ratable value of their buildings.  The response is not recorded. In 1938 the local boys joined the girls and infants to form a junior mixed and infants school which continued on the site until 1971 when it moved to larger premises formerly occupied by the Coalbrookdale High School. The building was subsequently used as a dance school and then leased by the Royal British Legion who made the lower floor available for community use.  The current Community Centre opened in October 1998 and hopefully the building will continue to form a focus for the community for many years to come.  Many of the people who use the Centre have memories of their school days there, some dating back to the 1920s.  Gradually a picture of school life through the 20th century is being built up using their reminiscences and photographs where possible.  One of these, dated 1927 shows the most unusual feature of the building, an indoor maypole, in use.  This has been adopted as the Centre’s logo.    
Contact Us: Telephone - 01952 433381 e-mail - admin@cicca.org.uk© 2019 CICCA 
Coalbrookdale & Ironbridge Community Centre Association
Coalbrookdale & Ironbridge, “birthplace of industry”, is a World Heritage site.
                                
HISTORY  The Coalbrookdale & Ironbridge Community Centre occupies a building which has been a focus for community life since 1830.  Its original purpose was to house a girls and infants school founded by Mrs. Abraham Darby in 1831 with a school house for the two mistresses incorporated into the building.  It was designed in the style of the adjacent Company Works and for many years was jointly run by the Coalbrookdale Company and the Darby family. Close links with the Church began in 1854 when the new Coalbrookdale Church was built; these still continue with the local primary school today. These arrangements continued until 1893 when a committee of interested local people was formed to run the school. In 1938 the local boys joined the girls and infants to form a junior mixed and infants school which continued on the site until 1971 when it moved to larger premises formerly occupied by the Coalbrookdale High School. The building was subsequently used as a dance school and then leased by the Royal British Legion who made the lower floor available for community use.  The current Community Centre opened in October 1998 and the building will continue to form a focus for the community for many years to come.  Many of the people who use the Centre have memories of their school days there, some dating back to the 1920s.  Gradually a picture of school life through the 20th century is being built up using their reminiscences and photographs where possible.  One of these, dated 1927 shows the most unusual feature of the building, an indoor maypole, in use.  This has been adopted as the Centre’s logo.
Contact Us: Telephone - 01952 433381 e-mail - admin@cicca.org.uk© 2019 CICCA